Privacy Statement and Cookie Statement
Last Updated: May 09, 2022
First things first – your privacy is important to us. All this notice be the kind of thing, but we mean it. You trust us by using balistarisland.com services, and we value that trust. That means we’re committed to protecting and safeguarding any personal data you give us. We act in our customers’ interest and are transparent about processing your personal data.
Privacy Statement Summary
It is a summary of our Privacy Statement. To review our Privacy Statement in full, please scroll down.
What does this Privacy Statement cover?
This Privacy Statement is designed to describe:
- How and what type of personal information do we collect and use.
- When and with whom do we share your personal information.
- What choices you can make about how we collect, use, and share your personal information.
What personal information do we collect and use, and how do we collect it?
We collect personal information when:
- You give us the information.
- We collect it automatically.
- We receive it from others.
When you create an account on one of our sites, sign up to receive offers or information, or make a booking using our platform, you give us your personal information. We also collect such information through automated technology such as cookies placed on your browser, with your consent, when you visit our sites or download and use our Apps. We also receive information from affiliated companies within balistarisland.com, business partners, and other third parties, which help us improve our platform and associated tools and services, update and maintain accurate records, potentially detect and investigate fraud, and more effectively market our services.
How is your personal information shared?
We may share your personal information to help you book your travel and/or vacation, assist with your trip and/or vacation stay, communicate with you (including when we send information on products and services or enable you to communicate with travel providers and/or property owners) and comply with the law. The full Privacy Statement details how personal information is shared.
What are your rights and choices?
You can exercise your data protection rights in various ways. For example, you can opt-out of marketing by clicking the “unsubscribe” link in the emails, your account, or contact our customer service.
How to contact us
More information about our privacy practices is in our full Privacy Statement. You can also contact us as described below in the “Contact Us” section to ask questions about how we handle your personal information or make requests about your personal information.
Categories of Personal Information We Collect
When you use our platform, Apps, or associated tools or services, we may collect the following kinds of personal information from you as needed:
- Name, email address, telephone number, and home, business, and billing addresses.
- Government-issued identification is required for booking or identity verification, such as passport, driver’s license, and government redress numbers, and for vacation property owners, tax identification number.
- Payment information includes the payment card number, expiration date, and billing address.
- Travel-related preferences and requests, such as favorite destination and accommodation types, and special dietary and accessibility needs, as available.
- Loyalty program and membership information.
- Birthdate and gender.
- Images, videos, and other recordings.
- Social media account ID and other publicly available information.
- Communications with us (such as recording calls with customer service representatives for quality assurance and training purposes).
- Searches you conduct, transactions, and other interactions with you on our online services and Apps.
- Other communications occur through the platform among partners and travelers and in-group chat and traveler-collaboration tools.
- The searches and transactions are conducted through the platform.
- Data you give us about other people, such as your travel companions or others for whom you are making a booking.
- Information we receive about you from other Expedia Group companies and third parties such as our business and affiliate partners and authorized service providers which may include updated contact information, demographic information, interests, and purchase history, which we may add to your account or profile and use for market research and analysis.
When you install any of our apps or use our platform, we automatically collect the following types of information from your device:
- IP address.
- Device type.
- Unique device identification numbers.
- Internet browser-type (such as Firefox, Safari, Chrome, and Internet Explorer).
- Internet Service Provider.
- Operating System.
- Mobile carrier.
- Your device has interacted with our online services, including the pages, accessed, links clicked, trips viewed, features used, and associated dates and times.
- Details of any referring website or exit pages and general geographic location (such as at the country or city-level).
When you download and use any of our mobile apps, we collect certain technical information from your device to enable the app to work properly and as otherwise described in this Privacy Statement. That technical information includes:
- Device and telephone connectivity information include your carrier, network type, network operator, subscriber identity module (“SIM”) operator, and SIM country.
- Operating system and version.
- Device model.
- Performance and data usage.
- Usage data, such as dates and times the app accesses our servers, the features and links clicked in the app, searches, transactions, and the data and files downloaded to the app.
- Device settings selected or enabled, such as Wi-Fi, Global Positioning System (“GPS”), and Bluetooth (which may be used for location services, subject to your permission as explained below). Mobile device settings.
- Other technical information such as app name, type, and version as needed to provide you with services
Permissions for Location-Based Services:
Depending on your device’s settings and permissions and your choice to participate in certain programs, we may collect the location of your device by using GPS signals, cell phone towers, Wi-Fi signals, Bluetooth, or other technologies. If you opt-in through the app or other program (either during your initial login or later), we will contain this information to enable certain location-based services available within the app (for example, locating available lodging closest to you). To disable the location capabilities of the app, you can log off or change your mobile device’s settings.
Use of Personal Information
We use your personal information for various purposes described below, depending on the site you visit or the app you use.
Your Use of Online Sites, Apps, and Services:
- Book the requested travel or enable vacation property/tour booking.
- Provide services related to the booking and/or account.
- Create, maintain, and update user accounts on our platform and authenticate you as a user.
- Maintain your search and travel history, accommodation, tour activities, travel preferences, and similar information about your use balistarisland.com platform and services, as otherwise described in this Privacy Statement.
- Enable and facilitate acceptance and processing of payments, coupons, and other transactions.
- Administer loyalty and rewards programs.
- Collect and enable booking-related reviews.
- Help you to use our services faster and easier through features like the ability to sign in using your account within the online services and sites of some Balistarisland.com companies.
Communications and Marketing:
- Respond to your questions, requests for information, and process information choices.
- Enable communication between you and the travel supplier like hotels and vacation property owners.
- Contact you (such as by text message, email, phone calls, mail, push notifications, or messages on other communication platforms) to provide information like travel booking confirmations and updates, for marketing purposes, or other purposes described in this Privacy Statement.
- Market our products and services, optimize such marketing to be more relevant to you and measure and analyze the effectiveness of our marketing and promotions.
- Administer promotions like contests, sweepstakes, and similar giveaways
Other Business Purposes and Compliance
- Conduct surveys, market research, and data analytics.
- Maintain, improve, research, and measure the effectiveness of our sites and apps, activities, tools, and services.
- Monitor or record calls, chats, and other communications with our customer service team and other representatives, and platform communications between or among partners and travelers for quality control, training, dispute resolution, and as described in this Privacy Statement.
- Create aggregated or otherwise anonymized or de-identified data, which we may use and disclose without restriction where permissible.
- Promote security, verify the identity of our customers, prevent and investigate fraud and unauthorized activities, defend against claims and other liabilities, and manage different risks.
- Comply with applicable laws, protect our and our users’ rights and interest, defend ourselves, and respond to law enforcement, other legal authorities, and requests that are part of a legal process.
- Comply with applicable security and anti-terrorism, anti-bribery, customs and immigration, and due diligence laws and requirements.
- Operate our business using lawful business purposes and as permitted by law
Legal bases for processing:
We will collect personal information from you only
- The personal data is necessary to perform a contract with you (e.g., manage your booking, process payments, or create an account at your request).
- Where the processing is in our legitimate interests and not overridden by your rights (as explained below), or
- Where we have your consent to do so (e.g., sending you marketing communications where consent is required), in some cases, we will have a legal obligation to collect personal information from you, such as where it is necessary to use your transaction history to complete our financial and tax obligations under the law.
Suppose we ask you to provide personal information to comply with a legal requirement or perform a contract with you. We will make this clear at the relevant time and advise you whether the provision of your personal information is mandatory or not (as well as the possible consequences if you do not provide your personal information).
Certain countries and regions allow us to process personal information based on legitimate interests. Suppose we collect and use your data based on our legitimate interests (or the legitimate interests of any third party). This interest will typically be to operate or improve our platform and communicate with you as necessary to provide our services to you for security verification purposes when you contact us, respond to your queries, undertake marketing, or potentially detect or prevent illegal activities.
We may, in some cases, use automated decision-making, for example, to assess fraudulent transactions or suspicious activity on our site. As part of this processing, automated decisions may be made by putting your personal information into a system, and the decision is calculated using automatic processes. If you pose a fraud risk, this may affect your ability to book on our site. You may have rights to automated decision-making, including the ability to request a manual decision-making process instead or contest a decision based solely on automated processing. Please see the Your Rights and Choices section below to know more about your data protection rights.
Sharing of Personal Information
We share your personal information as described below and in this Privacy Statement and as permitted by applicable law.
We share your personal information within the balistarisland.com
Balistarisland company shares, access, and use your personal information described in this Privacy Statement.
- Third-party service providers.
We share personal information with third parties in
connection with the delivery of services to you and the operation of our business (for example, to provide credit card processing, customer service, business analytics, and fraud prevention and compliance services, and to serve you with advertising tailored to your interests). These third-party service providers must protect the personal
information we share with them and may not use any directly identifying personal information other than to provide services we contracted them for. They are not allowed to use the personal information we share for their direct marketing (unless you have separately consented with the third party under the terms provided by the third party).
- Travel suppliers.
We share personal information with travel-related suppliers such as
hotels, airlines, car rental companies, insurance, vacation rental property owners and managers, and activity providers, rail, or cruise lines that fulfill your booking. Please note that travel suppliers may contact you to obtain additional information if and as required to facilitate your booking or to provide the travel or associated services otherwise.
- Business partners and offers.
If we promote a program or offer a service or product in conjunction with a third-
party business partner, we will share your information with that partner to assist in
marketing or provide the associated product or service. In most cases, the program or offer will include the name of the third-party business partner, either alone or with ours, or you will be redirected to that business’s website with notice. An example of such a business-partner relationship would be a third-party loyalty program for which you could earn points by completing a booking on our platform.
- Other Third-Parties.
- Legal rights and obligations.
We may disclose your personal information to enforce our policies or where we are permitted (or believe in good faith that we are required) to do so by applicable law, such as in response to a request by law enforcement or governmental authority, in connection with actual or proposed litigation, or to protect and defend our property, people and other rights or interests. We may also share your personal information
according to a subpoena or other legal request, or as necessary to remit certain taxes in processing payments as required by law or legal process.
We may share your personal information in connection with a corporate transaction, such as a divestiture, merger, consolidation, assignment, asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy. In the case of any acquisition, we will inform the buyer that it must use your personal information only for the purposes disclosed in this Privacy Statement.
Your Rights and Choices
You have certain rights and choices concerning your personal information, as described below:
- If you have an account with us, you may change your communication preferences by either (1) logging in and updating the information in your account
- You can control our use of certain cookies by following the guidance in our Cookie Statement.
- You can edit the accuracy of your data at any time by either logging into your account or contacting us.
- If you no longer wish to receive marketing and promotional emails, you may unsubscribe by clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ link in the email. You can also log into your account to change communication settings or contact us here. Please note that if you choose to unsubscribe from or opt out of marketing emails, we may still send you important transactional and account-related messages from which you will not be
able to unsubscribe.
- You can view and manage notifications and preferences in the app’s setting menu and on your operating system for our mobile apps.
- If we are processing your personal information based on consent, you may withdraw that consent at any time by contacting us. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing that occurred before you started approval. It will not affect our processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on a legal basis other than consent.
Certain countries and regions provide their residents with additional rights relating to personal information. These other rights vary by country and region and may include the ability to:
- Request a copy of your personal information.
- Request information about the purpose of the processing activities.
- Delete your personal information.
- Object to our use or disclosure of your personal information.
- Restrict the processing of your personal information.
- Opt-out of the sale of your personal information.
- Port your personal information.
- Request information about the logic involved in our automated decision-making used in our fraud prevention practices and the result of such decisions.
In addition to the above rights, you may have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. However, we encourage you to contact us first so we can do our best to resolve your concern. You may submit your request to us using the information in the Contact Us section. We respond to all requests from individuals wanting to exercise their data protection rights by applicable data protection laws.
International Data Transfer
The personal information we process may be transmitted or transferred to countries other than where you reside. Those countries may have data protection laws that are different from the laws of your country.
We have taken appropriate steps and put safeguards to help ensure that your personal information remains protected by this Privacy Statement.
We also require that third-party service providers to whom a data transfer is made have appropriate safeguards to protect your personal information in compliance with applicable data protection law.
We want you to feel confident about using our platform and all associated tools and services, and we are committed to taking appropriate steps to protect the information we collect. While no company can guarantee absolute security, we do take reasonable steps to implement appropriate physical, technical, and organizational measures to protect the personal information that we collect and process.
We will retain your personal information following all applicable laws as long as it may be relevant to fulfill the purposes outlined in this Privacy Statement unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law. We will de-identify, aggregate, or otherwise anonymize your personal information if we intend to use it for analytical purposes or trend analysis over longer periods.
The criteria we use to determine our retention periods include:
- The duration of our relationship with you, including any open accounts you may have with Balistarisland company, recent bookings, or other transactions you have made on our platform.
- We have a legal obligation related to your personal information, such as laws requiring us to keep records of your transactions.
- Whether there are any current and relevant legal obligations affecting how long we will keep your personal information, including contractual commitments, litigation holds statutes of limitations and regulatory investigations.
Types of cookies and similar technologies
Cookies are small pieces of text sent as files to your computer or mobile device when you visit most websites. We may deliver cookies (first-party cookies) or by a third-party partner or supplier (third-party cookies). Cookies are either session cookies or persistent cookies. Session cookies enable sites to recognize and link the actions of a user during a browsing session and expire at the end of each session. Persistent cookies help us identify you as an existing user, and these cookies are stored on your system or device until they expire. However, you can delete them before the expiration date.
Other similar technologies
- Web beacons, gifs, and clear gifs are tiny graphics, each with a unique identifier embedded invisibly on sites and in emails. Web beacons allow us to know if we visited a page or if ad banners on our sites and other sites are effective. We also use web beacons in our HTML-based emails to let us know whether our emails have been opened by recipients, which helps us to gauge the effectiveness of certain
communications, promotions, and marketing campaigns.
- Proximity-based beacons send one-way signals over very short distances to communicate with associated mobile apps installed on your phone. They can notify you, for example, about experiences related to your trip and can alert you to related deals or promotions. Beacons communicate with your device only when nearby and only if you have given consent within the relevant mobile application.
- Pixels are small objects embedded into a web page that are not visible to the user. We use pixels to deliver cookies to your computer, facilitate the log-in process, monitor the activity on our sites, and deliver online advertising.
- Tags are small pieces of HTML code that tell your browser to request certain content generated by an ad server. We use tags to show you relevant advertising and promotions.
- Local Storage Objects, such as HTML 5, store content and preferences. Third-parties with whom we partner to provide certain features on our site to display advertising based upon your web browsing activity use Local Storage Objects to collect and store information.
All technologies described above will be collectively referred to in this Cookie Statement as “cookies.”
- Help us improve your experience when visiting our sites.
- Fulfill transactions and ensure our sites perform as intended.
- Remember your preferences, such as language, region, or currency.
- Provide you with relevant advertising and analyze the performance of the ads.
- Enable you to return to previous travel searches.
- Identify errors on our sites.
- Help with data protection and potentially detect and investigate malicious or fraudulent activity.
- Help us understand traffic to our site, including the time and date of the visit, time and date of the last visit, and other information.
- Analyze how well our sites are performing
Types of information collected by cookies
The types of information that we collect through Cookies include:
- IP address.
- Device ID.
- Viewed pages.
- Browser type.
- Browsing information.
- Operating system.
- Internet Service Provider.
- Whether you have responded to, or interacted with, an advertisement.
- Referring or referred links or URLs.
- Features used and activities engaged in on our sites and in our apps
See the Categories of Personal Information We Collect section above for more information on what types of information are collected automatically.
Types and functions of cookies
Certain cookies are required or “essential” for our sites to function as intended. Essential cookies are necessary for you to navigate our site and use certain features like logging in to your account and managing your bookings. These cookies are also used to remember security settings that allow access to certain content. Lastly, we use essential cookies to collect information on which web pages visitors go to most, so we can improve our online services. You are not able to opt-out of necessary cookies.
Other Types of Cookies
We also use other types of cookies to make our site engaging and useful to you:
- Functional Cookies. We want to make sure when you visit our site, your preferences (such as your preferred language), settings, and previous searches are remembered. Functional cookies enhance your experience on Balistarisland.com company’s site.
- Analytics Cookies. We use analytics cookies to:
- Understand our site’s performance and how it is used, including the number of visitors, how long you stay on the site, and which parts of the site you visit. We can see details about how visitors interacted with the site, like the number of clicks visitors made on a given page, their mouse movements and scrolling activity, the search words visitors used, and the text visitors entered into various fields.
- Test different designs and features for our site.
- Monitor how our visitors reach our sites.
- Determine the effectiveness of our advertising.
- Advertising Cookies.
Balistarisland’s company and our third-party advertising partners may use advertising cookies to show you advertisements on and off our sites based on your interests. We may allow third parties to collect information about your online activities through cookies to perform their services. We may combine the information they collect about you on our sites with other information that they have collected. These third parties include business partners who collect information when you view or interact with one of (1) their advertisements on our sites or (2) our advertising or booking information on their sites and advertising networks, which collect information about your interests when you view or interact with one of the advertisements or tracking mechanisms they place on many different sites on the Internet. Our partners may make assumptions about your interests, characteristics, or preferences and add you to groups based on those assumptions to show you tailored advertisements. Balistarisland.com does not have access to the cookies these third parties may use to collect information about your interests. The information practices of these third parties are not covered by this Cookie Statement or our Privacy Statement.
How can you manage your cookies?
Do-Not-Track Signals and Similar Mechanisms.
Some web browsers may transmit “do-not-track” signals to sites the browser communicates. Because of differences in how web browsers incorporate and activate this feature, it is not always clear whether users intend for these signals to be transmitted or whether users are even aware of them. Participants in the leading Internet standards-setting organization that is addressing this issue are in the process of determining what, if anything, sites should do when they receive such signals. We currently do not take action in response to these signals. If and when a final standard is established and accepted, we will reassess our sites’ responses to these signals and make appropriate updates to this Cookie Statement.
If you have any questions or concerns about our use of your personal information, please get in touch with us.
Updates to Privacy Statement
We may update this Privacy Statement in response to changing laws or technical or business developments. You can see when this Privacy Statement was last updated by checking the “last updated” date displayed at the top of this Statement.