Goa Lawah or Bali Bat Cave is one of favorite places of interest in Bali and it is located on hill bank so it is called reef of Middle hill. There is a nature cave dwelt by thousands of tail bat located at north side from Jeroan/center of Goa Lawah Temple . Meanwhile the main road from Klungkung to Amlapura is just in front of the temple. This cave is apposite to the beautiful beach with black sand along the coastal area.Goa Lawah Temple is one of stop point on our Karangasem Tour Itinerary.
Goa Lawah Temple, a shrine for Balinese Hindu
Pursuant to the papyrus of Dwi Jendra Tattwa, the Goa Lawah’s name is Goa Lelawah, the name which is given by Danghyang Nirartha (a priest overspread the Hindu teaching in Bali) when he stop in this place on his Tirtha Yatra trips. He arrive at a cave which is a lot of bats hang on and its unbroken voice clamor as hymn to add the beauty of the cave. From the cave, we see also the beautiful coast with the blue ocean with Nusa Penida Island as a backdrop. It is a beautiful black sandy beach where the fishermen dock the traditional boats along the shore. Meanwhile the unique activities of traditional salt making conducted by local fishermen on the beach (close to Goa Lawah).
Goa Lawah Temple – Bali Bat Cave History
- According to the chronicle of Bendesa Mas, it mentions that the elaborations of Mpu Kuturan (a Hindu priest who come from Java) then he live in Bali which has been hosted in Silayukti, Padang Bai. He also builds some temple like Gua Lawah Temple
- According to the Papyrus of Dwijendra Tattwa, it narrates that after Danghyang Nirartha stay some nights at Goa Lawah, then he build a Kahyangan Temple on the ground. It means that Danghyang Nirartha extends the Palinggih or temple building existing at Gua Lawah Temple .
Function of Goa Lawah Temple :
- Based on Papyrus of Kusuma Dewa, it is Giha Lawah, a palace from Basuki god
- Based on Papyrus of Padma Bhuwana is explaining that in accordance to holy letter title Pentameter Aksara
- The structure of Gua Lawah Temple building is based on the temple building from Ista Dewata in particular of Padmasana which is located in front of Siwa Cave as power of entire universe potency
- Based on Lontar Babad Dalem is implying that Gua Lawah Temple as a good place to execute the Tirtha Yatra or Nyegara Gunung (meditation), because in this place there are nature potency of solidarity that is mount, the sea, goad an watu or petrify
Other Places of Interest Nearby
Klungkung Regency is located in east part of Bali Island and it own the old story of kingdom in Bali since the biggest king of Bali had existed in this regency. There are several places of interest can be visited in Klungkung Regency includes Kerta Gosa, Goa Lawah Temple and Kusamba Beach.
- Parking Area
- Public Toilet
- Entrance Fee – Charge
- Souvenir Shops
- Drinks Stall
- Food Stall